The smell of cigarette smoke can linger heavily in room, and sometimes hiring professional cleaners is a required if you do not have the time to clean your own room when it already reeks of cigarette smoke.
Cigarette smoke does not just emit a bad smell – it also contains around 4,000 harmful chemical compounds that can cause cancer, asthma, respiratory diseases, and many other medical conditions to humans. Around 19% of cancer cases are linked to smoking. In the US alone, more than 16 million people are reported to be suffering from diseases caused by cigarette smoking, with worldwide death caused by smoking reaching 6 million per year.
You do not have to be a smoker to suffer the effects of smoking. Secondhand smoke is equally harmful to the body as the smoker. Considering the adverse effects that can plague you or your family members, it is imperative that you make sure your rooms are free of cigarette smoke and not just spotless clean at the surface.
Cigarette smoke can stick to any part of the home, including curtains, linens, floors, ceilings, and all other fixtures, hence it is recommended to always perform a thorough cleaning to make sure any sign of cigarette smoke residue has been removed from the house or in a room.
Here are some tips on how to clear cigarette smoke in a room:
- Use a wet towel or cloth the room. The solid particles in smoke will tend to stick to the wet cloth or towel. However, please ensure you don’t continuously have wet cloths in the room, as this could create dampness.
- Use an air purifier. These small pieces of equipment work by having the room’s air pass through them, cleaning it by absorbing or attracting the smoke particles, and releasing clean air. However, since cigarette smoke can stick to curtains and other house fixtures, note that purifiers may only mask the smell and not entirely remove it.
- Vinegar and Cucumber. Strategically place some cucumber slices mixed with some amount of vinegar around the house. This slowly absorbs the smell of cigarettes.
- Change all curtains, carpets, and linens and wash them thoroughly before using them again. Deodorize pieces of furniture and vacuum regularly.
- Thoroughly clean the walls, ceilings, floors and all other fixtures inside the room. You may hire professional maid services to do this if you find it too taxing on your part.
- Designated smoking room or area. If you have a well aerated room that is rarely used such as a study or an open balcony, have this as the designated smoking zone for any family members or guests wishing to smoke. In case of a room, furnish with little or less fabric e.g. no carpet, shutters instead of curtains, seal openings into the main house.
Doing the above can greatly help clear cigarette smoke in a room. It may also payoff to hire companies that provide cleaning services to entirely remove any harmful chemicals that may have stuck to any part of your house.